February 29, 2024

Leading Everyday - Action over Fear




Quote: "Fear builds its phantoms which are more fearsome than reality itself" - Jawaharlal Nehru

Principle: Do not let fear paralyze or lead you to act irrationally 

When I was growing up, I was afraid of the dark. I don't know why I was scared of the night; I just was. But thinking back, was it because I couldn't see what was in the dark, or was it because I was afraid of what was in the night?

Thinking about it now, it makes no sense why I was afraid. It was probably the fear of the unknown and the thought that something would happen to me in the dark. Of course, nothing ever happened to me. I never saw or heard anything scary. But laying in my bed in the dark made me afraid, and I wouldn't move an inch of my body.

If I were to guess, I would be correct in saying that many adults feared the dark when they were younger. And If I were to think again, I would also be right in saying that most adults now have a different kind of fear other than the dark. Many fears either paralyze you into inaction or make a wrong decision. 

Today I invite you to shake off your fears. Do not let fear hinder your personal or professional life. Don't let fear stop you from trying new things, whether taking on a new project at work or traveling to a place you have never been to but have always wanted to go to. And indeed, do not let fear push you into a decision that could prove costly.

The first step in combating fear is acknowledging it instead of pushing it away. Then honestly, ask yourself, where is the fear coming from? Next, choose a different course of action. If it's paralyzing fear, be intentional about taking action. If fear drives you to make wrong decisions, stop and go through a process to make the right decision. But whatever you do, do not let fear rule the day.

Additional resource: https://hbr.org/2017/10/dont-let-your-inner-fears-limit-your-career

No comments:

Post a Comment

Book release - Leading from Within: Unleashing Your Authentic Leadership

  In Leading from Within: Unleashing Your Authentic Leadership , dive deep into the essence of true leadership. This transformative guide i...